Yesterday, the second of May, marked my first dessert in 30
days. What did I have? A cupcake. Well, two MINI-cupcakes.
The gluten-free month has come to a close and I’ve not much
to report save for the fact that mostly, I feel less puffy.
I haven’t lost
weight, but I feel thinner. My skin thing is still there which makes me think
that there’s something else I’m allergic to. My migraines remained present near
the end of the month; in fact, I had four in a row, or one mighty one that
wouldn’t go away last week, and two this week.
What is note-worthy, however, is that I was far less tired, far
less emotional, and far less hungry.
A bottomless pit for food ever since childhood, one of the
most frequent things I have heard from my family at meal times is “Are you
really going to finish that?” and “that’s an awful big helping”.
This whole month I’ve found myself mid-way through one of my
usual large portions of food asking myself why I ordered or made so much food. I’ve been tossing half-portions of burrito bowls from Freebirds WorldBurrito in the trash; giving the remainder of my gluten-free personal pizzas
from The Pizza Studio to local homeless; I’ve been bringing home left-overs!
Yet, when I re-introduce gluten during a meal, it’s as if I
am never full. I could always have “just one more”.
I have noticed that I actually don’t really want bread.
I want the convenience of bread (save for when I’m walking
past Subway where they pump the smell of their baking bread out the front of
the store to lure you in; then I want bread).
But really when I want a burrito it isn’t for the flour
tortilla. It’s for the perfectly packed-in, mixed bites of flavor on the go.
When I want a sandwich it’s because it’s easier to carry a half-wrapped sub
sandwich than to have slippery lunch meat tubed around veggies sliming all over
my hands, and mustard dripping on my blouse. I don’t want fried chicken—not even
my beloved Chick-Fil-A sounds appetizing. McDonalds? Sounds awful. Any of the
usual bad-for-me eats are simply not on my radar.
So, while some of my symptoms are still present, there are
some things that, when absent, make life so much more pleasurable. And
therefore, I have decided to forgo the gluten a majority of the time for an
undetermined period.
On to make-up-free May!
No comments:
Post a Comment