Saturday, May 10, 2014

3 Make-Up-Free 'Mantras'

Ten days have come and gone, and I’m still make-up free. Here are a few things that have come to mind while walking around naked-faced:


I WEAR MY SUNGLASSES AT NIGHT
I think this song was written for women who really, really want to wear eye make-up and have vowed not to for thirty days. So really, this song was written for me.

I usually have a complex about walking into the store with sunglasses on. I generally feel awful if I make it to the cashier with my eyes still hidden behind large frames and tinted lenses. I feel rude not giving eye contact to those trying to serve me to some capacity.

Now, I have officially said “screw it”. Really, it’s a favor. I don’t want the pretty Bare-Minerals-kissed woman behind the counter, or the perfect-ten-MAC-cosmetic-faced girl walking down The Row to a frat party on a Wednesday night, to see the contempt in my eyes and think that it’s personal. 

It’s not you, honey, it’s me.


PUT YOUR BEST FACE FORWARD
Ok. I know it’s ‘your best foot’ but I don’t give two shits about my feet. I was wondering why it’s such a strange feeling for me to walk onto my campus or just into a grocery store on a Wednesday with nothing on my cheeks. And then I realized what it is.

When I’m not wearing make-up, I don’t feel totally put together. And when I don’t feel totally put together, I don’t see the use in wearing outfits that are totally put together. I’ve found myself opting for the comfy clothing, something leaning more towards the über casual than even the middle ground, and therefore I feel somewhat frumpy.

I know I’m not putting my best foot forward and I know it is because of my face.

Apparently I’m really stuck on appearances. More so than I imagined I would be when I began this journey. It’s rather surprising.


THIS BLOWS
It’s not what you expect. I promise.

It’s just that, in the mornings I blow my nose quite often. My routine works out in such a way that my make-up gets done before breakfast, and breakfast frequently entails loads of Tapatio sauce. And Tapatio sauce gets the juices flowing. And those juices require tissue. And tissue wipes off the maquillage on my little red nose.

I found myself with Tapatio nose this morning and rolled my eyes. I had the legitimate thought, “Crap! Now I’m going to have to touch up my nose”, and quickly smirked, bobbing my head in happiness when I realized there was nothing to touch up. It’s bare anyway!

Maybe this whole thing isn’t so bad, after all.


Twenty more days. So far, I cannot wait to return to my cosmetics!


1 comment:

  1. Great job girlie~!! June will be here before ya know it.

    ReplyDelete